Saturday, June 04, 2005

Where are you from?

Where are you from? This is a loaded question sometimes. Yes, I have asked this to numerous people. I did this a lot in University, it seemed like an easy ice breaker. I am from India, I grew up in Qatar and have been living in New Brunswick since 99. I usually don't mind the question. But, a guy I know was saying he hates that question because it is a constant reminder to him that he still does not belong, even though he has been living in Canada for over 10 years and have been integrated into the Canadian way of life.

A lot of times, people are only trying to be friendly when they ask you where you are from. Sometimes, when I am asked that I say I am from Fredericton because I moved from there about 8 months ago. This, always seem to leave confused expressions on many faces. I personally find it amusing, there are very few people who will try to probe more and find out where I am originally from. My accent does not give me away, I adapted to the "Canadian way", I say SKedule now instead of SHedule :-). Now, if you ask the same question to a white Canadian, you are bound to get a detailed answer like my family came from so and so city and my mom's side of the family is English or Irish and so on. It's not the same with us. The disparity is obvious, I don't think there is any real reason to be upset by the question.

But, here is the simple fact, you still have a past and an identity that goes with you everywhere, but its upto you to decide where you are from. I say, instead of getting upset by the question have fun with it. If the person asking the question has any interest in you rather than where you are from, he or she will keep talking.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ashes said...

skedule, EH? :P

4:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home